Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chapter 6: Close for comfort

I have never allowed myself to be left alone in our house in Calatrava.  I even had to use my authority to ensure that at times. That incident in February 2008 was unforgettable and up until we left to transfer to Odiongan, that I felt safe.  We were in the capital city of Tablas where there were a lot more people activity. We were there early March to set up another mill and Calatrava, as far as I was concerned, was history.



By end of March, I was done with the mill in Odiongan and I decided to leave for Manila - for good.  As I boarded the ship bound for Batangas City that Wednesday afternoon, I can only say that my experience in Tablas, Romblon was a good one for me. It opened my eyes to the poverty that plagued the island, the corruption that continued to prevail and kept the island poor and of course, the unexplained mystery that I had to go through myself in that place.

Make no mistake, that even when I was in Odiongan, I felt that creepy feeling that someone or something was watching me at night. At times, watching me when I was alone in the staff house which was in the middle of a large compound.  To keep me sane, I simply had to have faith in the Lord and shoo the thoughts away. In the end of it all, goodbye Romblon! I hoped that if these "Aswangs" were really real, that they stayed in the island and kept themselves there. I hope that people will someday overcome them and destroy their existence if they continue to harm innocent people.

I was in Manila with a new-found job.  I was happy because I was nearer my family. I was glad to be back in the same civilization I came from. A place where dangers are real and can be avoided as much as we can.  Romblon's last image was this picture I posted on this blog.  That heavenly beach that I always wanted to have my rest-house on when I retire someday.  But after that scary incident, I probably would settle somewhere else. A balcony facing a mall maybe.

Bryan was a friend of mine.  He is a graphics artist and a professional photographer.  I was chatting with him once over lunch one day.  This guy from De La Salle University was simple but very talented.  Rich but humble in many ways.  He was a true businessman and a good friend.

"So how was Romblon?". Bryan asked. I said, "It was a beautiful place. I saw beaches there that was far better than Boracay."  I also told him about how backward the place was compared to other provinces. I told him about the bad roads. About the bogus government projects that delayed the provision of a sound infrastructure for the province. I told him about what kind of people I had to deal with to get the project moving at a timely phase.

"I was visited by an Aswang.", I calmly told him.  He looked at me and smile. "Common Noel! Do you actually believe in those things?" he exclaimed.  I told him, "That was the same thing I first said when it was mentioned to me by my staff!".  Bryan couldn't believe any of it.  I  told him about that night I have experienced in full detail.  I told him about the stories that seemingly was a part of everybody's knowledge in the island. I told him everything.  Still, "You got to be kidding me, Noel!".  I couldn't convince him.  Bryan actually looked at me like I was some kind of a "probinsyano" who was left out by technology and reality. "Man, let's stop this. This is impossible.".  So I laughed and surrendered myself to my friend who was probably more into reality than I was.

I told myself that I will never mention the "Aswang" incident to anybody but my close friends and relatives. It would probably be better and safer for me that way.  I think that the "Aswang" incident made me a different person. Made me think differently about what is real and what is not. I think this story would be better left in Romblon. I have never heard from Bryan for about two weeks after that chat over lunch.

My cellular phone rang one afternoon.  "Noel! Bryan here!". I was a bit surprised. "Hey Bryan, what's up?".  He continued, "Remember that Aswang story you told me about? The one that happened in Romblon?". I answered, "Yes, the one you wouldn't believe!". I laughed after saying that.

Bryan continued, "It's true!"

(End of Chapter 6)

1 comment:

  1. OMG... the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up!

    ReplyDelete